Saturday, November 26, 2011

Catch 22

Thanksgiving, what a wonderful time of year and holiday.

What a terrible memory you hold.

Two groups of very different cultures trying to  live their religion and their lives come together.  I personally think the native american incredible humanity and knowledge was far superior to any help Bradford and his clan gave them.  But I love a great harvest and feast!



My father gave me so many things.  I feel like the struggling pilgrim.  I do not know the land, or gardening, or harsh survival.  My dad was there for me to teach me and help me grow.  I know it was not easy for him.  I learned so many things from him.

I owe my awesome sense of direction, dry humor, height, random knowledge to him.


I have struggled through the years to separate thanksgiving from the event of my fathers death.  The two coincided 8 years ago.

I love my Dad, I miss him.  His passing was a big milestone in my life.  I truly gained a testimony and knowledge of the gospel through that event.  I truly cherish the blessing gained from that trial.   As I am sure the pilgrims felt of their survival, only half of them made it through the winter.

I often think of thanksgiving and my father death as Frodo thought of middle earth after his great big adventure.

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand . . . there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep . . .that have taken hold." 


These words really resonate with me.  How can I enjoy, celebrate this holiday, when i have been so hurt and changed by events that happened during you?  I very much feel I cannot go back.  Life is not how it once was.  Some hurts and wounds will not be fixed in this life.  Unlike Frodo I have a Savior.    And I know all will be made right, pure and eternal.  So as I have a heavy heart and have tender memories racing through my mind, I heap loads of yummy food in my mouth.A0082 - Christ Walking on the Waters

Dad, thanks for giving me a knowledge and love of history, the gospel and our savior, see you later!

No comments: